There are a number of important considerations that should be made when storing a ladder . These should include the following...
- Is the ladder stored away from areas where its condition could deteriorate more rapidly, (e.g. dampness, excessive heat, or exposed to the elements)?
- Is the ladder stored in a position which helps it to remain straight, (e.g. hung by the stiles on proper ladder brackets or laid on a flat clutter free surface)?
- Is the ladder stored where it cannot be damaged by vehicles, heavy objects or contaminants?
- Is the ladder stored where it cannot cause a trip, hazard or obstruction?
- Is the ladder stored where it cannot be used for criminal purposes? If the ladder is permanently positioned, (e.g. on scaffolding), is it secured against unauthorised climbing, (e.g. by children)?